Urmas Reinsalu is the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia from 29 April 2019. He is a member of the Pro Patria party.
Urmas Reinsalu was born on 22 June 1975 in Tallinn. He is married and has two children.
- 2015-2019: Minister of Justice of the Republic of Estonia
- 2011-2012 & 2014-2015: Member of the 12th Riigikogu
- 2012-2014: Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia
- 2007-2011: Member of the 11th Riigikogu
- 2001-2002: Political Secretary of the Res Publica party
- 1998-2001: Director of the Office of the President of the Republic
- 1997: Graduate of the Faculty of Law of the University of Tartu
The Foreign Minister
The Minister is appointed and dismissed by the Prime Minister.
The Foreign Minister will represent Estonia in foreign relations according to the Foreign Relations Act, other laws and international custom and practice.
The Foreign Minister is responsible for shaping Estonia’s positions concerning the ministry’s jurisdiction; represents Estonia at the European Union’s General Affairs Council and Foreign Affairs Council and at other European Union meetings concerning foreign relations at the ministerial level.
The Foreign Minister appoints and dismisses the ministry’s undersecretaries and director generals of the departments at the proposal of the secretary general.
Minister of Foreign Affairs shall submit an application for the appointment or dismissal of an Extraordinary or Plenipotentiary Ambassador to the Government of the Republic on the recommendation of the evaluation committee of the ministry.
The Foreign Minister shall make proposals to the Government of the Republic concerning the proposed annual budget and, if necessary, the draft of the supplementary budget, decide on the use of budgetary resources and monitor the accurate and efficient execution of the budget.