Eva-Maria Liimets is the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia from 26 January 2021.
Eva-Maria Liimets was born on 31 May 1974 in Tallinn.
Employment history and career
- From 2017–2021, she was the Ambassador in the Czech Republic with co-accreditation in Slovenia and Croatia.
- From 2017–2018, she was the Adviser to the European Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- From 2014–2017, she was the Consul General in New York.
- From 2009–2014, she was the Director of the Office of International Organisations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- From 2006–2009, she was the 1st Secretary of the Embassy and later the Vice Head of the Embassy in Washington.
- From 2003–2006, she was the 2nd Secretary of the Political Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- From 1999–2003, she was the Economic Diplomat in the Embassy in Rome.
- From 1997–1999, she worked in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Eva-Maria Liimets graduated from the University of Tartu in 1996 with a degree in public administration and from the Estonian Business School in 2005 with a master’s degree in international business management. Her mother tongue is Estonian, but she is also fluent in English, German, Italian, and Russian.
The Foreign Minister
The Minister is appointed and dismissed by the Prime Minister.
The Foreign Minister will represent Estonia in foreign relations according to the Foreign Relations Act, other laws and international custom and practice.
The Foreign Minister is responsible for shaping Estonia’s positions concerning the ministry’s jurisdiction; represents Estonia at the European Union’s General Affairs Council and Foreign Affairs Council and at other European Union meetings concerning foreign relations at the ministerial level.
The Foreign Minister appoints and dismisses the ministry’s undersecretaries and director generals of the departments at the proposal of the secretary general.
Minister of Foreign Affairs shall submit an application for the appointment or dismissal of an Extraordinary or Plenipotentiary Ambassador to the Government of the Republic on the recommendation of the evaluation committee of the ministry.
The Foreign Minister shall make proposals to the Government of the Republic concerning the proposed annual budget and, if necessary, the draft of the supplementary budget, decide on the use of budgetary resources and monitor the accurate and efficient execution of the budget.