A long-stay (D) visa is an Estonian visa which may be issued for single or multiple entries into Estonia.
D-visa may be issued for the period of stay of up to 365 days within twelve consecutive months and it allows to stay in the whole Schengen Area up to 90 days. In case of two consecutive long-stay visas, the whole period of stay shall not be longer than 548 days within 730 consecutive days.
A long-stay visa must be applied for in person at an Estonian representation which handles visa applications or at a service point of the Police and Border Guard Board in Estonia.
Documents to be submitted upon application for a long-stay visa:
- travel document which is issued within previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;
- fully completed and signed application form;
- photo (size 35x45 mm);
- insurance policy valid for Estonia or for the Schengen area with a coverage of at least 30.000 EUR for the entire duration of stay;
- documents indicating the purpose of journey:
- confirmation letter from the host;
- documents proving that applicant is going to work in Estonia (confirmation from the employer, registration of short-term employment);
- documents proving that applicant is going to study in Estonia;
- documents proving family ties or marital status if the purpose of journey is to visit a private person;
- documents confirming sufficient means of subsistence during the stay in Estonia;
- documents confirming accommodation and provision for expenses during the stay in Estonia;
- at the time of submission of the application, biometrical data – 10 fingerprints of the applicant is collected; children under the age of 12 and persons for whom fingerprintin g is physically impossible shall be exempt form the requirement to give fingerprints;
- visa fee 80 €
The following persons are exempted from paying the visa fee:
- Children under 6 years
- A family member of an Estonian or an EU/ EEA citizen
Visa fee may be paid at an Estonian representation or at a service point of the Police and Border Guard Board, depending where the application is submitted.
Visa fee may also be transferred to the MINISTRY OF FINANCE (receiver) to the following account numbers:
- SEB Pank р/с EE891010220034796011
- Swedbank р/с EE932200221023778606
Reference number: 2900073630
If it is not possible to enter the reference number on the payment order of a foreign country, the reference number must be entered in the clarification field.
Clarification of the payment: Review of visa applications, first name and surname of the applicant Please note that reference number and clarification of the payment are compulsory fields on the payment order. Please note that visa fee will be taken for processing the visa application.
Working Holiday visa for the citizens of Australia and New Zealand
Under the Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of Estonia and the Governments of Australia and New Zealand visas are being issued, granting the right to work to 18-30 year old Australian and New Zealand citizens, who may stay in Estonia for up to a year. The work done within that period has to contribute to the main purpose of stay in the country, namely to recreation in Estonia; and those using the opportunity must not work for the same employer longer than three months. The citizens of Australia and New Zealand willing to benefit from the application of those Agreements have to apply for D type visa at the Estonian representation which is handling visa applications.
More information: Australia; New Zealand (181.88 KB, PDF)
Working Holiday visa for the citizens of Canada
Under the Bilateral Youth Mobility Agreement between Canada and Estonia visas are being issued, granting the right to work to 18-35 year old Canadian citizens, who may stay in Estonia for up to a year. The citizens of Canada willing to benefit from the application of this Agreement have to apply for D type visa at the Estonian representation which is handling visa applications.
More information: Youth mobility agreement
Application form (PDF)