On Friday 12 March at 9.00 EST / 16.00 EET, an informal high-level virtual meeting „Crimea: 7 years of violations of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity” is organised by UN Security Council members Estonia, France, Ireland, Norway, the United Kingdom, and the USA, together with additional co-sponsors Australia, Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine.
This Arria-formula meeting will mark seven years since the attempted annexation by the Russian Federation of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol, an act not recognized by the international community.
The meeting provides an opportunity to hear direct accounts about the deteriorating situation on the ground regarding massive militarisation, human rights violations and abuses as well as the economic and environmental situation on the peninsula temporarily occupied by Russia.
The meeting will highlight the need to increase the Security Council’s and the wider international community’s attention to Russia’s ongoing severe violation of international law that attempts to cement its temporary occupation of Crimea.
The debate will be opened and chaired by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia, H.E. Ms Eva-Maria Liimets.
The meeting will take place on Friday 12 March 2021 via video conference at 9.00 AM (NYC time, EST). There will be statements by briefers and the UN Security Council members as well as by other UN member states. The meeting will be streamed live and is open to the public via UN WebTV, YouTube, Facebook and the homepages of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Permanent Mission of Estonia to the UN.
The meeting will be held in English and no simultaneous interpretation is offered.
- H.E. Ms Ilze Brands Kehris, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights and Head of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in New York (315.36 KB, PDF)
- Message by a civic journalist from Crimea (227.14 KB, PDF)
- Dr Phillip Karber, President of the Potomac Foundation (459.94 KB, PDF)
- Ms Maria Tomak, Coordinator of Media Initiative for Human Rights (119.76 KB, PDF)
Estimated time at 09:30 AM (EDT, New York time))
1. Ukraine, Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Dmytro Kuleba (256.8 KB, PDF)
2. Lithuania, Foreign Minister, H.E. Mr. Gabrielius Landsbergis
3. Canada, Minister of Foreign Affairs, The Honourable Marc Garneau (194.58 KB, PDF)
4. Germany, Minister of State, H.E. Mr. Niels Annen
5. Turkey, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Yavuz Selim Kıran (529.38 KB, PDF)
6. Latvia, Minister of Foreign Affaris, H.E Mr. Edgars Rinkēvičs (126.38 KB, PDF)
7. Czech Republic, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Martin Povejšil (117.6 KB, PDF)
8. Poland, Undersecretary of State, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Marcin Przydacz (204.55 KB, PDF)
9. Netherlands, Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Stef Blok (133.38 KB, PDF)
10. Slovakia, State Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, H.E. Ms. Ingrid Brocková (283.6 KB, PDF)
11. United States, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mrs. Linda Thomas-Greenfield
12. France, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Nicolas de Rivière (9.1 KB, PDF)
13. Ireland, Permanent Representative, H.E. Ms. Geraldine Byrne Nason (229.18 KB, PDF)
14. United Kingdom, Permanent Representative, H.E. Dame Barbara Woodward
15. Norway, Deputy Permanent Representative, H.E. Ms. Trine Heimerback
16. Georgia, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Kaha Imnadze
17. Australia, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Mitchell Fifield
18. Belgium, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Philippe Kridelka
19. Italy, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mrs. Mariangela Zappia
20. Costa Rica, Deputy Permanent Representative, H.E. Ms. Maritza Chan Valverde (717.83 KB, PDF)
21. Bulgaria, Permanent Representative, H.E. Ms. Lachezara Stoeva
22. Estonia, Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Ms. Eva-Maria Liimets
(Estimated time at 11:00 AM (EDT, New York time))
SECURITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
1. India, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. T.S. Tirumurti
2. Russian Federation, First Deputy Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Dmitry A. Polyanskiy
3. Mexico, Political Coordinator, Mr. Enrique Ochoa
(Estimated time at 11:20 AM (EDT, New York time))
UN MEMBER STATES and OBSERVERS:
1. Slovenia, Minister of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Anže Logar (259.12 KB, PDF)
2. Romania, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Dan Neculaescu
3. European Union, Deputy Secretary General for Political Affairs, Mr. Enrique Mora (364.22 KB, PDF)
4. Croatia, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Ivan Šimonović (208.15 KB, PDF)
5. Denmark, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Martin Bille Hermann - on behalf of the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
6. Republic of Korea, Deputy Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Jongin Bae
7. Japan, Ambassador, Political Affairs, H.E. Mr. Hiroyuki Namazu
8. Austria, Permanent Representative, H.E. Mr. Alexander Marschik (249.76 KB, PDF)
(Estimated time at 12:00 AM (EDT, New York time))